Brighton & South Downs CAMRA
CAMRA stands for The Campaign for Real Ale, a British consumer organisation founded 1973 to campaign for the quality of traditional British beers. This now includes good pubs and traditional cider & perry. It has local branches all over Britain and the Brighton & South Downs Branch is one of the five branches covering the County of 'Sussex' (i.e. East & West Sussex).
Please 'sign' our Pub Protection e-petition
Our Branch has submitted an e-petition to Brighton & Hove Council asking them to (in summary):
1) Develop planning policies to protect local public houses, similar to Lewisham and Cambridge City Councils.
2) Under the Sustainable Communities Act, submit a proposal to Government that planning permission be required before community pubs can be converted to other uses, or are demolished.
3) Help community groups to nominate pubs as Assets of Community Value.
4) Write to the Secretary of State at the Department of Business Innovation & Skills supporting plans to introduce a Statutory Code to ensure tied publicans are treated fairly.
Follow the link to see the full wording of the Petition.
If you agree, please support us by signing, before the period ends on September 17th 2014. Here's the link
2014 BRANCH COMMITTEE and how to contact some of them
Chairman and Membership Secretary - Keith Newell firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer - John Kirkland email@example.com
Pubs Officer - Adrian Heft firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Secretary - Jack Wilkinson email@example.com
Cider & Perry Rep - Jackie Johnson firstname.lastname@example.org
President - Pete Coppard email@example.com
CAMRA's National Pubs Database WHATPUB
is available. If you would like to correct inaccuracies, update or generally comment on the pubs in our Branch area, please use this e-mail link firstname.lastname@example.org
CONTENTS & LINKS
BRIGHTON & SOUTH DOWNS CAMpaign for Real Ale
Over 1,759 CAMRA members live in our Branch area, which is Brighton & Hove, Lewes, Newhaven, Haywards Heath, Burgess Hill, Shoreham-by-Sea and the area in between. So what do we do – apart from drink beer and run this website?
8. Liaise with and report on the several and increasing number of Breweries
on our patch to CAMRA headquarters, and put their news in the
'Bru News' section of Sussex Drinker.
9. Run a Summer ALE TRAIL and its associated 'Cider Rider' - on now to October 2014 around our area, with prizes for visiting 20, 30 or 40 pubs.
10. Compile a database of local pubs... to feed into CAMRA's WHAT PUB? The Summer ALE TRAIL page lists the 40 participating real ale pubs which are well worth a visit and for other recommendations please look in CAMRA's current Good Beer Guide.